Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
FYI – I am offline Monday and Tuesday but here is a pre-scheduled newsletter with pre-scheduled stories I wrote. That is all.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Vanessa Fox On The Early Days Of Google Search Console, Webmaster Tools & Sitemaps
Before there was Google Search Console there was Google Webmaster Tools, before there was Google Webmaster Tools there was Google Sitemaps. To tell you that story, John Mueller and Lizzi Sassman interviewed the original creator of this tool, Vanessa Fox.
- Did Google Local Service Ads Remove License Numbers?
Google may have removed the license number from business details in the Local Service Ads. I checked a number of LSAs and noticed that Google will say if a business passed the license check or not but not list the license number anymore.
- Bing Tests “Web” Label In Search Result Snippets
Microsoft Bing is testing placing a label in the search result snippets that tell you if the search result snippet you are looking at is a web page or something else. This is a “web” label on the left side of the search result snippet.
- Google: We Won’t Penalize For Keyword-Stuffed URLs
Google’s John Mueller said that Google Search “won’t get penalized for keyword-stuffed URLs.” He said stuffing the keywords in your URLs “basically has no effect, positive or negative for search engines.”
- Google Wood Room Area
Here is a random photo I found from the Google Zurich office of an area, maybe an entryway, in all wood accents. I think it is mostly wood with some accents, lights and signs.
- Programming Note: Rosh Hashanah 5783 – Happy & Healthy Jewish New Year
This is a programming note that Monday and Tuesday are Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year and I will be offline the next two days. I will be offline Monday and Tuesday, September 26th and September 27th.
Other Great Search Threads:
- #LSA On “Max Per Lead”, I can’t get accounts to say they’ll target more than 1 lead per week. I’ve tried a wide variety of combinations. If I enter $1000/lead + $25k/wk, this should say weekly target: 25 leads. Misprint or broke, Len on Twitter
- Google Adsense Account Closed. What can I do?, WebmasterWorld
- Google CEO Pichai fields questions on cost cuts at all-hands meeting, CNBC
- If we moved our keyword targeting to all broad, as time goes on, would you slowly add in exact match keywords for those terms that are performing the best? Or are you guys recommending 100% broad? PS, the switch t, Darcy Burk on Twitter
- Lost Featured Snippets but still ranking No.1, WebmasterWorld
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.
Note: This was pre-written and scheduled to be posted today, I am currently offline for Rosh Hashanah.